Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Tasty Home-made Hommus!




I don't care how you spell it, hommus/hummus/homous is delicious! Especially when you make it yourself, plusmit doesn't have all the nasty preservatives and additives that store bought hommus contains. It's really quick and easy to make and goes with everything! Trust me, once you start to make your own you will never buy it ever again.

You need a hand mixer or a food processor, I've made it in both and I think my hand mixer works better as you get a smoother consistency. If you have never bought tahini look in the health food aisle of your grocery store (I've bought it in both Coles and Woolies), and if it's not there you may need to find it at a health food store eg. Mrs. Flannerys.

What you'll need:

One tin chickpeas - drained
Juice of a large lemon
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp of tahini
Large pinch sea salt crystals

Optional: Cumin, Smokey paprika, Olive oil

Place tahini, salt, garlic cloves and lemon juice into mixer bowl and blend for a few seconds until tahini turns a paler colour, add rinsed chick peas in a few batches blending as you go, I keep a cup of water beside me and just add a few splashes to keep my hommus at a consistency I like, blend until the mixture is a smooth paste (add more or less water to achieve a consistency you like, I prefer mine quite thick)

I also add on occasion a few tsp of cumin powder or smokey paprika, if I'm serving it as a dip I'll drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with paprika.


I love hommus because it's so versatile. I had it for lunch today on a wholemeal lavosh with baby spinach, tomato, avocado, fresh green chilli, mint and coriander. Very delicious! It last for about a week in the fridge in a a sealed container, and get's even tastier after a day so I recommend making it the day before for a party. Enjoy Xx


No comments:

Post a Comment