Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Vegan Degustation at Mondo Organics


I just want to share this because it was an AMAZING experience. For my birthday my partner Adrian took me to a 6 course vegan degustation at Mondo Organics in West End. I have to say it was one of the best meals of my life, and it's so hard to find vegan fine dining in Australia let alone a 6 course degustation with matching wines. They normally do a vegetarian degustation but they were more than happy to organise us a Vegan one with only 5 days notice, I really recommend that you guys check them out if you have the opportunity.

All these photos were taken with my phone in low lighting so they're not a great representation, and this happened back in August so my memory is a little fuzzy on exactly what was in each dish, but I think this gives you a good idea.


The first course was a field mushroom consomme accompanied with fresh bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, I don't have a photo but these are the drinks that accompanied it. We then had an apple salad that I don't have an image of, there was fresh apple, dried apple, little freeze dried coconut things, bulgur wheat and a few other things a can't remember, both of which were lovely.


We then had a salad of roasted beetroot, dehydrated beetroot, heirloom pickled onions and beetroot leaves, there was some other components that I can't quite remember but it was delicious.


This course was our absolute favourite, it was a roasted artichoke with a rhubarb sauce and toasted nuts (among other things) it was seriously amazing!



Then we had a beautiful dish of mandarin slices, wild rice, caramelised parsnips, nuts and coconut, the dressing and flavours were amazing. 


And then finally, as if we weren't full enough we had a lovely dessert that contained shortbread, macadamia's, fresh raspberries and a lemon granita.

Each course was accompanied by a beautiful  organic, vegan wine, it really was an amazing experience. It's not cheap but for a special occasion it was totally worth it. They already have vegan desserts permanently on their menu but I figure if enough people request a vegan degustation maybe it'll become a permanent fixture!

No comments:

Post a Comment