Monday, December 17, 2012

Super Delicious Scrambled Tofu



I've tried a lot of different scrambled tofu's in my time, and one of my favourite things about this dish is that you can put absolutely anything in it and it still tastes good. I have a complete inability to stick to a recipe so that fact that 'anything goes' with scrambled tofu, gives it extra points in my book. Whenever I make this I usually just throw in whatever ingredients I have on hand and then flavour it according to whatever I feel like eating. Which is exactly what I did this morning when I discovered a lonely packet of tofu sitting in the back of the fridge. I took the photos with my phone so don't judge.

I made this for one (it could have fed two), so I only used half a block of tofu, but just double everything if your feeding more people :)

What you'll need:

1/2 block firm tofu - crumbled (I used soyco Hi-protein firm tofu)
A few good sloshes of dark soy sauce
A splash of vegan Worcestershire (I used Newmans)
A good squirt of American-style Mustard
1 tsp freshly cracked pepper
2 tsp of Keens Curry Powder
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
2 cloves garlic - crushed
1/8 cup Savoury Yeast flakes

Whatever vegies you like to beef out the mixure, I used;

1/4 small onion diced
1/4 large zucchini diced
6 mushrooms sliced thinly
1/6 red capsicum diced
1/4 tomato diced
A big handful of english spinach roughly chopped.

Chop  veggies of your choice and leave to one side.

Roughly crumble your tofu into a bowl, add soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, mustard, liquid smoke, pepper, curry powder, garlic and, savoury yeast flakes and stir well to combine.

Heat a heavy bottomed pan, fry off your onion for a couple of minutes in some olive oil. Add the other veggies (except spinach) and fry for a couple more minutes until they begin to cook. Add your tofu mixture and cook for about 5 minutes or until mixture is thick and delicious looking, if your mixture is too wet, turn up the heat and allow he excess moisture to evaporate, if your mix is too dry add water in small amounts. When your tofu looks ready throw in your spinach and stir for 30 seconds or until spinach is wilted.

I served mine on olive sourdough with slices of avocado.


No comments:

Post a Comment