Monday, April 4, 2011

Punkrock chickpea gravy and beer battered chips


WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME ABOUT THE EXISTENCE OF CHICKPEA GRAVY? 
No seriously, why? I can't even begin to describe how super awesome it really is! I have a burnt tongue to prove it, it's straight-out-of-a-pan-with-a-spoon-without-bothering-to-wait-until-its-cool-enough tasty.


While I am ecstatic to now be able to eat this whenever I want, I am also a little sad as I really didn't need another excuse to binge on carbs. I'm a carbo-holic.
The original recipe is from Vegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz, which I don't own....so I accessed it here http://www.food.com/recipe/punkrock-chickpea-gravy-304633 


Now I only realised after I started making this that the ingredients I didn't have were pretty close to the number of ingredients I did so...I had no mustard seeds, so I just used 2 tbsp of mild american mustard, no lemons, so I used half a lime, I also only had smoked paprika and no nutritional yeast or coriander...oh and I used fresh thyme and rosemary...but even with all these changes it was still super tasty, so when I actually get my hands on the real ingredients I'm sure it'll knock my frilly socks off.


As I was shovelling spoonfuls of gravy into my mouth, I realised that it was a little sad, so I needed something for it to accompany, it being 1 pm on a monday means its time for beer so.. Beer battered chips were the obvious choice!


You'll need;


2 - 4 washed potatoes with the skins on
1 bottle cold beer (I used Tooheys Extra Dry)
2 cups plain flour
2 tsp paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
Vegetable oil for deep frying


Put your oil on to heat


Cut your potatoes into long strips


Pre-steam or boil potatoes until they're just turning soft, and I mean just, you still want them slightly firm (Approx 7 minutes)


Meanwhile mix flour and paprika together, whisk through beer until a light fluffy batter forms.


Dip potato pieces in batter until well coated and fry in batches until golden brown, drain on kitchen paper and serve with chickpea gravy! 
Enjoy Xx









No comments:

Post a Comment