Thursday, December 9, 2010

Vegan Profiteroles

Hear that? It was the sound of my blogging cherry being popped. Yes I am entirely new to the world of blogging so you may have to bare with me for the first few! I have been cooking vegan for the past two years now there have been some triumphs and unfortunately some disasters. I thought I'd start with something big. 

I have successfully made vegan choux pastry, yes, you heard correctly, It is possible to veganise a recipe that calls for 16 eggs, you just need a hell of a lot of 'no egg' replacer, and I mean A LOT.

For my partners 31st birthday this year I made him a croquembouche (aka profiterole cake), and it actually turned out well, I just found a basic choux pastry recipe and tweaked it slightly. I am one of those people who never measures anything, I just add stuff till it looks right and this was most definitely one of those times. I made this back in June and unfortunately I don't have have any pictures of the cooking process, but I will definitely remake this and post it with steps when I get a chance  (with measurements I promise!)  


                                                                                                                                               
  This is the finished product, they're filled with a mixture of vegan cream and custard and are topped with both white and dark chocolate, I also dipped some strawberries in the chocolate for presentation. You are also lucky enough to witness my appalling attempt at writing in chocolate, but hey we can't all be perfect. 
It's not well represented in the photo's but this thing was tall! It's  made up of about 30 individual profiteroles sandwiched together with chocolate, and oh yes, it tasted good! When I do the next batch I will do some chocolate eclairs as well! Xx 

1 comment:

  1. Recipe please? I'm so curious. They look amazing!

    ReplyDelete